Electrical Engineering Computer Science International Institute EECS at National Chiao Tung University 國立交通大學, Taiwan
You’ve finished up your undergraduate degree. Grad school is ahead and…you want to know how you can GET ahead. What if you could get a Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering & Computer Science in the heart of the world’s most advanced chip design foundries and at the center of the Asia-Pacific region? What if while you study you could have the opportunity to intern at the Asia locations of any of more than 100 of the largest technology companies in the world - and that all your classes would be conducted in English by renowned Ph.D.s educated at the West’s most elite universities? In addition to getting the opportunity to learn Chinese? If that wasn't attractive enough, what if you could get all of this with nearly FULL scholarships? AND - enjoy a generous monthly STIPEND while you study?! If these things sound interesting to you, then you want to read on & learn more about the EECS Master’s degree program at the Electrical Engineering Computer Science International Institute of National Chiao Tung University in Hsin Chu, Taiwan.
Spring Semester: Sept 1st ~ October 31st
Fall Semester: March 1st ~ April 30th
Early morning, the smell of grass in the air and the sunshine spreading over the lawn in front of Hao Ran Library at National Chiao Tung University, makes it like a brand-new green blanket. On campus, teachers and students are full of energy and creativity, and for good reason - adjacent to the school is the Hsinchu Science Park, Taiwan’s Silicon Valley, Sophia Antipolis & Cambridge Science Park, bringing innovation & energy to the development of the technology around the world.
Nearly 400 tech companies are in the HsinChu Science park and National Chaio Tung University’s contribution to both educating staff & providing research for the park’s many enterprises is long-standing & reciprocal. The companies at the HsinChu Science Park include the largest dedicated semiconductor foundry in the world, and the cumulative output of the park makes it the 2nd largest producer of integrated circuits and the third largest producer of DRAM in the world. By 2008 Taiwan will have the highest number of 12 inch wafer foundries in the world. Sales are projected to be 53.8 billion per annum. These enterprises actively seek NCTU graduates. In many cases their senior management are alumni.
Building on these strengths, in 2008 National Chiao Tung University established the county’s 1st Electrical Engineering Computer Science International Institute with an eye toward attracting the best scientific talent in the world to one of the world’s leading technology environments. The Director of the EECS program, Dr. Sheng-Jyh Wang describes the Electrical Engineering Computer Science International Institute as “integrating the teachers and teaching resources from College of Electrical & Computer Engineering and College of Computer Science.”
王聖智 Professor Sheng-Jyh Wang
B.S.E.E., National Chiao Tung University 1984
M.S.E.E., Stanford 1989
Ph.D.E.E., Stanford 1994
- Computer Vision
- Image Processing
- Signal Processing
Founded Acer Inc. in 1976 – 3rd largest computer company in the world.
World vice-chairman, Microsoft Corporation, and chief executive officer in China.
Tenured Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology/MIT.
Founder and president, Atelligent Global Consulting Corp.
President and chief executive officer, Fortemedia.
President, First International Computer, Inc.
A further advantage to students at National Chiao Tung University is the presence of five national experimental centers just beyond the campus: Synchrotron Radiation Research Center, Instrument Technology Research Center, National Center for High-Performance Computing, National Center for Theoretical Sciences and National Space Organization and a sixth national research center actually ON the campus, National Chip Implementation Center.
The on-campus National Chip Implementation Center provides EECS students at NCTU a rare opportunity to turn their chip designs into commercially viable products, with students & professors able to patent innovations and demonstrate them to the world’s leading chip manufacturers, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company/TSMC or United Microelectronics Corporation/UMC - who are just down the street. Now, that’s a leg up! (Not to mention the fact that you’ll be learning to speak Chinese.) Dr. Jiann-Jenn Wang, Deputy Director General of the Center indicated that each year an average of 2,200 chip design innovations are proposed, with 1,500 passing muster to get to the design stage. So, by the time you are applying for that job your potential employer may already be using one of your chip designs.
The Electrical Engineering Computer Science International Institute’s Master’s Degree provides two different tracks: System on Chip and Telecommunication/Networking.
The core courses of System on Chip:
- VLSI Design
- VLSI Implementation
- RF IC Design
- Mixed Signal IC Design
- Low-Power IC Design
- Embedded System Design
- Hardware-Software Co-design
The Core course for networking:
- Wireless communication
- computer Networks
- Wireless LANs
- Personal Communication
- Network Security
- Optical Networks
- Optical Fiber Communication
The basic courses:
- Digital Communication
- Information Theory
- Coding Theory
- Digital Signal Processing
- Fundamentals of Optoelectronics
- Optoelectronics/Display Devices
- Operating Systems
- Computer Architecture
It takes two years to graduate from the EECS Master’s Degree program. Graduation time can be shortened by taking alternative course loads. Contact Leah Huang, 03-513-1254, [email protected], to find out more. An undergraduate program for international students is set to begin in 2009 and a doctoral track will open in 2010.
An outline of deadlines & fees for the Master’s Degree program is described below. For international students most if not all fees & tuition can be offset via the generous scholarships offered.
- Application Form, including study plan in Chinese or English.
- Certificate of Academic Qualification in Chinese or English,
translation of foreign diplomas are required.
- GMAT or GRE scores. Required by College of Management.
- 2 sealed Recommendation Letters.
- Certificate of Financial Support. Optional
- Passport Copy or Nationality certificate.
- Documents required by individual department.
- Golden Bamboo Scholar Scholarship
NT$20,000/month & Tuition Waiver
- Silver Bamboo Scholarship
NT$10,000/month & Tuition Waiver
- Bronze Bamboo Scholarship
NT$6,000/month & Tuition Waiver
- TA fellowship
NT$6,000/month & Tuition Waiver
- Tuition Waiver
Tuition & Housing
- Undergraduate NT$25,000~29,000 (US$800~950) /semester
- Graduate NT$13,000~13,500 (US$400-420) /semester,
NT$15,90 (US$50) /credit
- Housing High priority NT$5,800~9,200 (US$190-300) /semester
- Living Expenses NT$8,000~15,000 (US$250-500 /month
Comparison of IEEE SCI research papers among National Chiao Tung University and other eminent universities.
|National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan(NCTU) 台灣國立交通大學||159||127||76||74||89||103||92|
|National Taiwan University, Taiwan(NTU) 國立台灣大學||124||112||65||62||78||81||69|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology, U.S.A.(MIT) 美國麻省理工學院||88||77||77||71||91||70||64|
|Stanford University, U.S.A. 美國史丹佛大學||75||78||61||74||52||75||78|
|University of California, Los Angeles, U.S.A. (UCLA) 美國加州大學洛杉磯分校||63||98||48||65||70||64||65|
|University of California, Berkeley, U.S.A. 美國加州大學柏克萊分校||52||58||41||52||60||46||64|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, U.S.A. 美國伊利諾大學香檳分校||86||48||62||59||72||60||76|
Wireless/Mobile Networks- World Ranking in SCI papers (1999~2005)
|Name||Total Cites||Rank||No. of Papers||Rank||Cites per Paper||Rank|
|Stanford University, U.S.A. 美國史丹佛大學||452||1||30||15||15.07||1|
|University of California, Berkeley, U.S.A. 美國加州大學柏克萊分校||432||2||29||17||14.9||2|
|Georgia Institute of Technology, U.S.A. 喬治亞理工大學||367||4||44||6||8.34||5|
|National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan(NCTU) 台灣國立交通大學||225||11||61||2||3.69||13|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology, U.S.A.(MIT) 美國麻省理工學院||149||17||35||7||4.26||10|
|Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, H.K. 香港科技大學||89||--||30||13||2.97||16|
|National Taiwan University, Taiwan(NTU) 國立台灣大學||45||--||29||16||1.55||--|
Main Research Papers on IEEE SCI during 2005~2006
IEDM Research Papers For International Excellent Conference
|Name||2005 IEEE EDL||2005 IEEE T-ED||2006 IEEE EDL||2006 IEEE T-ED||2002~2006 IEDM|
|National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan(NCTU) 台灣國立交通大學||25||12||16||18||24|
|Stanford University, U.S.A. 美國史丹佛大學||3||7||3||5||30|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology, U.S.A.(MIT) 美國麻省理工學院||3||4||1||3||24|
|University of California, Berkeley, U.S.A. 美國加州大學柏克萊分校||1||5||5||1||18|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, U.S.A. 美國伊利諾大學香檳分校||6||3||1||1||6|
|National University of Singapore, SG 國立新加坡大學||15||2||13||4||24|
Alumni in Electrical Engineering Computer Science, National Chiao Tung University
- Bachelor's and Master's Degress, Electrical Engineering, National Chiao Tung University
- Retired, and now head of iD Soft Capital as well as advising government & industry on information economy and public welfare issues.
- President, Acer Inc.
- B.A., Applied Mathematics, National Chiao Tung University
- World vice-chairman, Microsoft Corporation, and chief executive officer in China
- China area president & chairman, Motorola, Inc.
- Improved Motorola's business in Greater China region. Stressed the company’s role as an ethical corporate citizen; pushed forward development of remote regions; set up 150 computer classrooms and information science teacher training. Founded community learning centers in cities to help farmers who want to find jobs all enhancing Microsoft Corporation’s standing in China
- Master’s Degree, Electrical Engineering, National Chiao Tung University
- Tenured Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology/MIT
- Professor, Electrical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Director General, Electromagnetic Wave Research Center, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- B.A., Electrical Engineering, National Chiao Tung University
- The founder and president, Atelligent Global Consulting Corp.
- President and general manager, Hewlett-Packard Development Company
- President, Institute for Information Industry
- HP Global CEO Quality Award
- Endowed the Department of Electrical Engineering and Department of Communication Engineering’s High Frequency Laboratory & High Frequency Circuit Design Software Laboratory.
- B.A., Physics, National Chiao Tung University
- Master’s Degree, Electrical Engineering, National Chiao Tung University
- President and chief executive officer, Fortemedia
- Founded Electronic Computer Aided Design /ECAD in Silicon Valley developing the leading measurement software for the IC industry.
- Established Electronic Computer Aided Design /ECAD Taiwan branch in Hsinchu Science Park in 1986, and cooperated with National Chiao Tung University, making gifts to the Department Electrical Engineering of software to measure integrated circuit for research and teaching, resulting in National Chiao Tung University becoming the leading university in Very-Large-Scale Integration /VLSI design in Taiwan.
- Granted Phil Kaufman Award for Electronic Design Automation/EDA in 2000.
- Known as the Dean of Electronic Design Automation/EDA.